[ProAudio] AES on the west coast, was Re: Ampex/ProAudio List Dinner

proaudio at bach.pgm.com proaudio at bach.pgm.com
Thu Nov 7 23:31:17 EST 2019

On 11/6/2019 1:05 PM, proaudio--- via ProAudio wrote:
> In general it is the low frequency RF emissions which escape in the differential mode becoming more common mode as the emission frequency increases.

Andrew,

As a ham radio operator, I have a LOT of experience with RFI at MF and
HF, and I can attest that COMMON MODE is the dominant mechanism in this
frequency spectrum. A common mode choke formed by winding a suitable
number of turns around a #31 Fair-Rite core will provide significant
suppression. For a development of the concepts, see k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Yes, use of shielded cable is also a solution -- IF the interconnected
equipment on both ends properly terminates the shield.

Jim Brown