[ProAudio] AES on the west coast, was Re: Ampex/ProAudio List Dinner

proaudio at bach.pgm.com proaudio at bach.pgm.com
Wed Nov 6 12:30:59 EST 2019

On 11/6/2019 12:22 PM, proaudio--- via ProAudio wrote:
> 10BaseT is a brilliant standard!  I've told folks for years that
> Ethernet is the only digital interface (aside from optical) to even
> consider when the electrical environment is hostile.

As implemented in consumer equipment, wired Ethernet with UTP is a
notorious source of RF noise from HF through low VHF. HF noise is
radiated common mode; I suspect that it's differential mode at VHF.
Thanks to reciprocity, such a system will also be subject to
interference from strong RF fields.

Jim Brown