[ProAudio] AES on the west coast, was Re: Ampex/ProAudio List Dinner

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Nov 5 10:53:18 EST 2019

On 11/5/2019 10:07 AM, Bob Katz wrote:
> An actual earth ground is unnecessary and frankly, useless.

Not true, Bob. Indeed, it is a critical component of lightning
protection, which is why it is required by electrical codes. So is
bonding. You are, however, entirely correct that an earth connection has
to relevance to hum, buzz, or RFI. Was it Bill or Neil that so
poetically said that earth is not a sump into which noise is poured? I
have often used that quote in my talks and writing. It is, indeed, the
bonding that is critical for that as well.

Jim Brown